Sunday, July 10, 2011

Stellar weekend foiled on lap three for McColm in Toronto; Crash takes Ajax NASCAR racer out early in Streets of Toronto 100

PHOTO BY GARY GRANT - TheGarageBlog.com

July 9, 2011, AJAX, ON – Joey McColm entered the Streets of Toronto 100 with a sound game plan Saturday. The Ajax, Ontario, NASCAR racer started 15th in Saturday’s 33-car field, and the goal was to avoid trouble early to mount a late challenge.
His plan derailed on lap three when contact with another racer sent his Race Time Radio-sponsored Dodge into the retaining wall and out of the race.
“It’s frustrating,” said McColm after the race. “We came here wanting to have a great run in front of our home town crowd. It was way too early in the race for that to happen.”
McColm is running a limited schedule in 2011. He enjoyed a top-10 result at Mosport International Raceway recently, and he entered Toronto on an extremely limited budget. The tires he practiced on were more than a year old.
“We didn’t put on new tires until qualifying,” said McColm. “I wasn’t really sure what the car would do until we went out to turn a good lap. I was pleased with how well it ran.”
McColm lost a couple spots racing conservatively at the start, but he was confident things would come his way as the race went on.
“I was pretty confident the positions I lost at the start would come back to me later in the race,” said McColm. “I settled in to let things spread out, and I was shocked that I got squeezed up into the wall. The car is damaged pretty badly.”
McColm plans to get repairs made in time to compete in Montreal with Espar as his primary sponsor. Despite the setbacks this weekend he has reason for optimism with the handling on his race car.
“We never want to have setbacks like this,” said McColm. “But the car worked well, and I know we’ll have a better showing in Montreal.”
For more information, or to schedule an interview with McColm, e-mail jmccolm@cm2c.ca.
- 30 -

No comments: