Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Drastic cutting at General Motors... including "motorsports"

I listened to the press conference on this on the way into work... I believe Chairman / CEO Rick Wagoner mentioned the cuts would also involve "motorsports." GM is already virtually absent from Canadian motorsports, but it would be a different landscape in American racing if this involved backing away from NASCAR. He wasn't specific on that point, so we'll have to see where and how deep the axe falls.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some day one of the manufacturers is going to figure out that racing cars that dont look like the cars you sell in a series where all the cars are required to look the same doesnt help you sell cars.

Anonymous said...

Or maybe in Canada they'll figure out that having a pitchman who hasn't played pro hockey in 30 years isn't moving cars, either.

If that isn't a case of executive hero worship sending good money down the drain, I don't know what is.

Just because you can tell your old buddies you get to golf with Bobby Orr, it doesn't mean that anyone under 40 knows who the frig he is. And it doesn't mean he should be the focus of your ad campaign.

Racing makes good marketing sense because you're talking directly to people who are passionate about automobiles. These people care about what cars they drive and buy. Running away from this important stage won't help GM.

Wonder how many Cadillacs they're selling to women in high heels because the chic from Grey's Anatomy drives one during GM's ads on CTV? Joke.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever tested the claim that what wins on Sunday sells on Monday? I love NASCAR but I drive a Honda because it is a good car. Made in Canada too.

Anonymous said...

Im getting a bumper sticker for my Kia that says my outher rides a Lefthander .

Anonymous said...

\\\\\\i know that this fall my new truck will be a dodge , I will support thoughs who support racing in canada and dodge dose in a big way, just for the record I have been a ford driver for years

Anonymous said...

Think that "D"odge, or "those" in "C"anada, care what an "edumacted" person "does"? "I" don't think "F"ord does, either.

Anonymous said...

Huh?