NASCAR.com - Races - Practice Results
Oakville's Ron Fellows was sixth-fastest in the first Busch Series practice session in Mexico... and second-fastest in the second session.
GO RON!!!!
Friday, March 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Here are some of Ron's comments after practice...
RON FELLOWS, NO. 87 NIMCO CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO – Note: Fellows is under the weather with a head cold
(ON THE RACE COURSE) “The corners are fast – particularly the very last corner here. But there’s not much grip. And that’s the problem. I almost got myself into trouble a few times because the radius of the corner increases. You’re in there and you feel pretty good and then all of a sudden it starts to push and then as soon as it does that then the back goes. So there’s not a lot of grip. And then with all the turns in the back, we’re just trying to get as much lateral bite as possible.”
(DOES THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH TIRES?) “No, it’s the surface. It’s also got a lot of really sharp, but longer bumps. If you could measure it, the tires are probably off the ground for 35 percent of the lap. So you see, guys who have their shock deal together can track very nicely.”
(SO WHEN YOU GET SOME RUBBER ON THE TRACK, IS IT GOING TO IMPROVE?) “Yes. It’s already so much better than it was. This morning I was quicker. I think you can feel it when you’re running around how much more grip you have in the corners.”
(ARE BRAKES GOING TO BE AN ISSUE?) “Well, no, I don’t think brakes are going to be an issue here. It’s sort of like Sonoma where you’re really only on the brakes twice. I think we’d be better off running that chicane to be perfectly honest with you. But I think it’s here now. I don’t know what the reasons for putting it in were. But it’s going to make things difficult. It’s also going to make it more single file because you can’t get enough of a run – you can’t get enough room between the exit of the chicane and Turn 1 to get by somebody.”
(WHERE DO YOU SEE THE PASSING ZONES HERE?) “Well, I thought that was going to be one of them was going to be Turn 1. It’s going to be hard. Going into the start of the esses, Turn 3 or something like that. But it’s going to be very difficult. I’ve made some passes into the last corner, but I don’t think you’re going to be doing that with the guys in the front.”
(HAVE YOU RACED HERE BEFORE?) ‘Yes, in the Trans-Am race in 1991. It was very different. It was a different surface. This last corner was quite a bit more wide open. And as you go down under that Camino Real Bridge you’d go left and then right and another right into another series of esses. So it’s a bit of a shortcut. The track is a lot of fun. But it’s frustrating when you know what you want the car to do and you can’t get it to do it. It’s so easy to lose time. The chassis set-up is going to be super critical.”
SO WOULD YOU BE CONSERVATIVE AND WAITING FOR ANOTHER GUY TO MAKE A MISTAKE?) “Yeah, braking into Turn 3 or Turn 4, you’ve got a lot of bite initially. And then on that new asphalt, you’ve got two pretty substantial bumps. And then the grip is a lot lower. It’s sort of like a boat where there’s enough wake to create wheel motion but when it does that it’s not making grip. We’re just trying to get it to where it balances when it’s bouncing around it’s going to do the same thing.”
(ON THE TIRES) “We’ve got seven sets for this weekend. We’ve used one set all through this morning’s practice. We might save Joe (Nemechek) a little money on one set, but I wouldn’t count on it. Except for qualifying, it’s going to take at least three for the race. They feel like they’ve got decent grip, but this is just a very slick track. It’s very dry around here. You don’t see that much dust until you start following cars. It’s like going down a back road. That’s part of the problem is so much dust on the race track.”
(HAVE YOU EVER RACED AGAINST GUYS LIKE ADRIAN FERNANDE AND MICHEL JOURDAIN?) “No. I’m too big for cars with no roof.”
During the race the announcers said "Give me one road race, with one driver and I'll take Ron Fellows" Fellows then proceeded to spin out 2 laps later, falling to 20th (only to jump 8 spots after a well timed yellow)
Hi there GREGM, I was just browsing, looking for 2006 nascar schedule related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a 2006 nascar schedule site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2006 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.
Hi there GREGM, I was just browsing, looking for nextel cup related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a nextel cup site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2006 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.
I enjoyed reading some of your posts GREGM. I was looking for auto racing related information and found your blog. I have a auto racing site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2006 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Come and check it out if you get time :-)
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.
Post a Comment