Compiled by James Neilson
DAYTONA BEACH, FL – The top 20 qualifiers for this weekend’s Daytona 24 hours reads like a who’s who of international racing stars. Despite the deeply talented field of former Formula 1, current and ex Indycar and Nascar drivers the No.1 COMPUSA Ganassi Racing Lexus Riley of Scott Pruett, Luis Diaz and Ryan Briscoe continued to dominate the Grand-Am Prototype class.
Pruett set a best time of 1:46.928 (119.856mph), besting the Suntrust Pontiac Riley of Max Angelelli, Wayne Taylor and Emmanual Collard by a mere 17 hundredths of a second. The top 8 cars were separated by less than a second hinting that this years Daytona could be one of the closest races in history.
The pole gives Ganassi racing an incredible 12 poles from 13 races dating back to the 2004 Rolex 24 at Daytona.
“Everything went right out there for us today,” Pruett told the press corps at Daytona. “The preparation from the team is simply second to none. You just can’t beat that kind of effort. The pole is definitely beneficial to get the weekend started on the right foot. They say a good start lets you avoid the mess at the back,” he added.
The NASCAR contingent acquitted themsleves well, considering for some it was their first visit to the Daytona International Speedway. Tony Stewart qualified the highest among the ‘good ole boys’ putting the Howard Boss Motorsports Pontiac Crawford he shares with Andy Wallace and Jan Lammers on the outside of row three in sixth position.
The Labonte brothers, Terry and Bobby, were right behind Stewart in their Doran Racing Pontiac they’ll be sharing with Jan Magnussen qualifying in the seventh spot. Multimatic Teammates, and NASCAR rivals, Kurt Busch Matt Kenseth struggled to get to grips with their Multimatic Ford finishing in the middle of the Daytona Prototype pack in 16th place.
"I wish we were a little faster overall, but we're all running about the same speed and we're comfortable in the car," said Kenseth on NASCAR.com. "We're a little down on straightaway speed, but we seem to be faster than the other cars in the infield."
The open wheel stars also fared well in qualifying. Ganassi IRL teammates Scott Dixon and Darren Manning and fellow IRL driver Casey Mears will line their Target Chip Ganassi Racing Lexus Riley just ahead of Tony Stewart on the inside of row three in fifth position.
Sebastian Bourdais, partnered with Newman/Haas Champcar Team owner (and Eighty year old!) Paul Newman in their Ford Crawford qualified two places ahead of fellow Champcar competitor Paul Tracy in 13th and 15th places respectively. AGR IRL teammates Dario Franchitti and Dan Wheldon piloted their Howard Boss Motorsports Pontiac Crawford to the 18th position.
Tracy is co-driving with sportscar stalwart Terry Borcheller in last year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona- winning Bell Motorsports Pontiac Doran.
"The DORAN JE4 is a lot different than what I currently drive," said Tracy, speaking of his Daytona experience on his website. "My first time in the car was really the first time I've driven a full-bodied race car with a roof and fenders," adding. “"I hadn't met Terry (Borcheller) before the Homestead test, but I know he has a lot of experience in the car and is very quick. My position on the team is a secondary role to help Terry win the 24-Hours again."
The 43rd annual Rolex 24 at Daytona begins on Saturday February 5, 2005 and can be seen on Speedvision Television. For complete qualifying results go to Grand-Am\s official website at www.grand-am.com

21 comments:
I enjoyed reading some of your posts GREGM. I was looking for auto racing related information and found your blog. I have a auto racing site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Hi GREGM. I was looking for nascar drivers related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a nascar drivers site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Check it out when you can :)
Fantastic blog you've got here GREGM, I was looking for nascar related information and found your site. I have a nascar site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Stop by and check it out when you can. Enjoy!
Fantastic blog you've got here GREGM, I was looking for auto racing related information and found your site. I have a auto racing site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Stop by and check it out when you can. Enjoy!
Hi there GREGM, I was just browsing, looking for nascar wrecks related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a nascar wrecks site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!
I enjoyed reading some of your posts GREGM. I was looking for nascar related information and found your blog. I have a nascar site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Hi there GREGM, I was just browsing, looking for nascar drivers related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a nascar drivers site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!
Nice blog GREGM. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for nascar wrecks related information and found your site. I have a nascar wrecks site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy!
I liked your information in ROLEX 24: Pruett Continues Dominant run capturing the Rolex 24 at Daytona Pole. Too bad it doesn't have more on corporate trainer. I was looking for corporate trainer in my area. Enjoyed reading what you have. I'll check back later when I get some spare time next week. Thanks GREGM.
I enjoyed reading some of your posts GREGM. I was looking for nascar related information and found your blog. I have a nascar site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Come and check it out if you get time :-)
I liked your information in ROLEX 24: Pruett Continues Dominant run capturing the Rolex 24 at Daytona Pole. Too bad it doesn't have more on Las Vegas convention speaker. I was looking for Las Vegas convention speaker in my area. Enjoyed reading what you have. I'll check back later when I get some spare time next week. Thanks GREGM.
Now that I have a little time I can finally read your posts especially the title ROLEX 24: Pruett Continues Dominant run capturing the Rolex 24 at Daytona Pole. I accidently ran in to it the other day looking for leadership training in Las Vegas and yours popped up GREGM. I was in a hurry and bookmarked it so I could come back later. Well here I am. Keep it up. Greeting from Las Vegas.
Nice blog GREGM. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for auto racing related information and found your site. I have a auto racing site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy!
Hi GREGM. I was looking for nextel cup related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a nextel cup site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Check it out when you can :)
Hi GREGM, very unique blog you have! I was looking for nascar wrecks related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a nascar wrecks site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2005 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please visit and enjoy!
I liked your information in ROLEX 24: Pruett Continues Dominant run capturing the Rolex 24 at Daytona Pole. Too bad it doesn't have more on corporate trainer. I was looking for corporate trainer in my area. Enjoyed reading what you have. I'll check back later when I get some spare time next week. Thanks GREGM.
Hi GREGM, very unique blog you have! I was looking for Tony Stewart related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a Tony Stewart site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2006 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please visit and enjoy!
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.
Nice blog GREGM. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for Tony Stewart related information and found your site. I have a Tony Stewart site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2006 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy!
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.
Hi GREGM, very unique blog you have! I was looking for 2006 nascar schedule related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a 2006 nascar schedule site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2006 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Please visit and enjoy!
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.
Fantastic blog you've got here GREGM, I was looking for auto racing related information and found your site. I have a auto racing site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2006 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Stop by and check it out when you can. Enjoy!
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.
I enjoyed reading some of your posts GREGM. I was looking for nascar drivers related information and found your blog. I have a nascar drivers site. You can get current Nascar news as well as info on all your favorite drivers, the 2006 Nascar schedule, how to get cheap Nascar tickets, track info and more. Come and check it out if you get time :-)
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.
Post a Comment